Re: Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 03:21:12PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange (berrange@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
> > I don't think we're anywhere near the point in time where such an
> > approach is worth the pain it will inflict on people. As above,
> > I'm pretty sceptical that maintainence of Python2 is actually going
> > to stop in 2015, as I think there are too many people and/or
> > organizations who will find they have reasons for wanting to stick
> > on python2 for a long time. Maybe I'll be proved wrong on this in
> > time, but I doubt it, as there's far too many prior examples of
> > people/companies sticking with ancient software versions because
> > the cost of maintaining them is less than the cost of porting
> > them.
>
> Especially since I do believe there are large software infrastructures even
> more tied to python2 than Fedora is with yum/anaconda/etc.  (Hellooooooo,
> OpenStack!)

There is an effort in openstack to try to make the code python 3 friendly,
but they wish to retain python 2.x compatibility for a while yet since
that's what most of the OS platforms they're targetting have most widely
available. So they're seeing if it is possible to get code that works on
say python 2.7 and 3.x concurrently. AFAIK, there's not official timeline
yet for declaring that openstack formally supports python 3.

Daniel