Re: Multirelease effort: Moving to Python 3

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 05:16:03PM +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le Ven 19 juillet 2013 17:04, Tomas Mraz a écrit :
> > On Fri, 2013-07-19 at 10:17 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> >> So while I encourage a Fedora effort to get onto Python3 by default,
> >> well before 2015, I don't think we should assume that Python2 support
> >> is definitely going to stop in 2015.
> >
> > +1 Breaking completely needlessly backwards compatibility this way is
> > really not a good idea.
>
> OTOH, it's better to give a heads-up this way (with the option to change
> shebangs as short-term workaround) than drop users cold at python2 removal
> time (which *will* eventually come). Some people really need some breakage
> to notice they're missing a migration.

I don't think we're anywhere near the point in time where such an
approach is worth the pain it will inflict on people. As above,
I'm pretty sceptical that maintainence of Python2 is actually going
to stop in 2015, as I think there are too many people and/or
organizations who will find they have reasons for wanting to stick
on python2 for a long time. Maybe I'll be proved wrong on this in
time, but I doubt it, as there's far too many prior examples of
people/companies sticking with ancient software versions because
the cost of maintaining them is less than the cost of porting
them.

Daniel