Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

On Friday 19 July 2013 15:46:25 Adam Williamson wrote:
> ... We don't set up any mail reader to read this mail out of the box.

OK, I won't count mailx and mutt because we talk about different audience,
should we open bug-reports for the rest? (kmail? evolution?)

> No app is very likely to know your user name and send mail to you.

Cron was already mentioned, but every one seem to ignore the fact that
regular users don't have permission to read system logs.

[or are you suggesting that regular users should not be allowed to use cron?]

> I run my own mail server, ground up.

I'm not talking about running an SMTP server, but rather:

 - Programs being able to pipe stuff into /usr/sbin/sendmail (or mailx FWIW)

 - Knowing it would be routed to the correct location (with persistence).

 - The default location (/var/spool/mail) is well-known (and could easily
   become more visible via correct defaults for modern MUA's)

 - An administrator can centrally re-route all this to anywhere they want
   without having to fiddle with settings of individual applications.

I agree about @core, I disagree about default (desktop/server) installs.

--
Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492
oron@xxxxxxxxxxxx                  http://users.actcom.co.il/~oron