Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 01:40:27PM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> It really feels like this discussion is beyond its peak usefulness.
>
> Maybe we can give another shot of relevance by collecting a list of
> packages that depend on syslog (or are useless without /var/log/messages
> or other log files in /var/log) ?
>
> I've heard logwatch, logrotate and fail2ban mentioned. Are there
> others ?

Based on looking at http://codesearch.debian.net/, with both
/var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog (debian's default), I come with a
handful.

logcheck. Matthias Runge was maintaining this fairly actively about 2.5
years ago and then kind of trailed off. This is a shell script.

pcp (Performance Co-Pilot). Haven't really investigated.

nova-manage (from openstack) has an awful script to extract log info from
log files (tries /var/log/syslog, then falls back to /var/log/messages).
This would actually be significantly nicer using journalctl.

lvmdump, which makes a tarball of lvm diagnostic reports. Currently includes
"recent entries from /var/log/messages".

hplip (HP Linux Imaging and Printing Project) - includes a helper script
called "logcapture" intended to search log files for printer messages for
diagnostic purposes. This looks in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, and
/var/log/cups/error_log.

There's also epylog (maybe not in debian?)

And really not much else other than documentation and examples -- which like
as not _already_ aren't applicable. For example, the sudo man page
references /var/log/syslog, as does the logfilter example in the rsync
documentation.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>