Re: Why can't ExecStopPre= be used to abort stopping a (broken) service?

On Wed, 17.07.13 11:29, Miroslav Lichvar (mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 09:47:39PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > On Tue, 16.07.13 21:10, Miroslav Lichvar (mlichvar@xxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> > > Possibly related question: Is there a way to start a daemon with
> > > different options on restart than on start, something like
> > > ExecRestart?
> >
> > No. And I am not convinced that that's a good idea to have.
>
> Is this one of the "never going to happen" things or could you be
> convinced?

One of the cases of: if we went down all other avenues, and if the
patch is beautiful, and your usecase supersuper strong, then sure. But I
don't see that really.

> > > This would allow restarting chronyd with the -r option to load old
> > > samples and speed up the initial synchronization.
> >
> > Hmm, this sounds like something to maybe just solve based on a simple
> > time scheme? i.e. reuse if the old samples are not older than 1h or so?
>
> I don't think a time check would be reliable here. The samples should
> be loaded only when they are still valid, i.e. nothing else has
> touched the clock. It improves the initial response if used
> correctly, but makes it much worse if used with invalid samples.
> And chronyd can't know how good are the samples until it's too late.
>
> The safest approach is to use in only when the service is restarted.
> It must not be used when someone stops the service, runs ntpdate and
> starts chronyd again.
>
> An even better example might be the -R option, which tells chronyd to
> not step the clock on start. If it was used on service restart, we
> would be sure there are no time jumps when the chrony package is
> upgraded.

But for -R even more looking at the clock is actually the better choice
and already what happens, no? I mean, the stepping is only done if the
time difference is greater than some threshold. That sounds like a much
better solution, since it always works.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.