Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Syslog

Le Mar 16 juillet 2013 13:54, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
> On Tue, 16.07.13 11:49, Nicolas Mailhot (nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx)
> wrote:
>

>> Le Lun 15 juillet 2013 20:09, Till Maas a écrit :
>> >  Also it is sad that journalctl does not directly accept ISO 8601
>> > time specifications (I can open a bug if there is a changes it will be
>> > implemented).
>>
>> +100 not using iso 8601 by default nowadays is insane, I've been
>> slowly
>
> Thanks for calling me insane.

I did not call anyone insane, I called a use insane, this is not the same
thing.

>> moving all the bits I could to iso 8601 in the past years and it's the
>> same breath of fresh air as UTF-8 was compared to the legacy
>> all-incompatible-with-each-other 8 bit encodings
>
> We looked into using ISO dates, especially for denoting repetition
> events, but quite frankly they are just not simple and intuitive to
> write. Expressions such as "P1Y2M10DT2H30M/2008-05-11T15:30:00Z" are not
> nice to write, nor even to read.

Even though some parts of ISO 8601 may seem less natural than others,
every time I had to dig a particular datetime problem it turned out the
standard was actually well thought and the "better" custom alternatives
all had nasty failure points (the biggest being plugging two apps that
used a custom alternative always resulted in bugs that always appears at
period limits no one tested completely for).

While I don't suppose I'll be able to convince you not to try to invent
something better, please at least make it possible for those of us who
have been burned by those experiments to ignore yours and be able to work
with systemd in iso 8601 mode.

> You might have noticed that most graphical programs (such as email
> programs) that want to show you a time will not do so in the ISO format
> either, but in a more local, user friendly presentation. That's because
> the ISO format is just not suitable for user presentation.

The problem of those "user friendly" presentations is that not two of them
are similar, so as soon as you're unlucky enough not to use an en_US
locale (that they all fallback too) you'll get presentation discrepancies
or even outright incompatibilities, bugs, or even indefinite behaviour
when the software writer assumed you knew his pet format and didn't bother
making explicit what his conventions were.

I'll take iso 8601 standard over this user "friendliness" any time, thank
you very much

--
Nicolas Mailhot