Re: F20 Self Contained Change: Remove deprecated calls of using ntpdate in favor of ntpd

Once upon a time, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> said:
> ntpdate is slowly being depricated. STIG enhancements for RHEL 6 penalize
> systems that make use of ntpdate. Also documentation from the NSA Hardening
> Guidelines as well as CIS Hardening documentation recommends disabling the use
> of ntpd as a full-time daemon.

Really?  Why?  Active management of the clock is the only sensible way
to use NTP.

> Second, I would like to add a set time and/or randomized time for ntpd to
> check for time updates (as configured by the user in /etc/sysconfig/ntpdate).
>
> I'm thinking of using ntpd with the -q option to immediately exit the daemon
> after it runs.

This sounds like you want to run ntpd from cron - that is a TERRIBLE
idea!  Running something that manages the clock from a job system the
depends on the clock is broken by design.

The NTP project has been trying to deprecate ntpdate for a long time
now, so I have no problem with it going away.  However, while the
proposal subject is to remove ntpdate, you then go into changing the way
ntpd is used, which is bad (and not obvious from the subject).

--
Chris Adams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxx>