Re: F20 System Wide Change: Visible Cloud

On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 10:47:28AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 07/15/2013 12:22 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
>
> >1. Refactoring of the Fedora web site to put the cloud image on equal footing
> >with the desktop image download. The new F19 cloud images page [2] is very
> >nice thanks to the hard work of the web team, but unfortunately, in order to
> >find it, one has to go down into the cellar, into a disused lavatory with a
> >sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard. Let's put it on display in the
> >metaphorical front lobby.
>
> Do these images support instance data injection by default?

cloud-init, in case anyone else was wondering.

> Then we need to make absolutely clear that it's unsafe to run them
> outside an environment that filters instance data injection
> requests.  For example, these images must not be installed on a
> bare-metal system connected to the public Internet, or used to set
> up guests on a regular hypervisor.

Cloud-init is reasonably careful about where it gets the data from.
By default it looks first for a config drive (a specially formatted
block device which has to be explicitly added to the VM), and then
secondly for a webserver on a link-local IPv4 address (usually
169.254.169.254).  Also, if configured, a specially formatted virtual
floppy or virtual CD-ROM drive can be used.  None of these can be used
to remotely exploit a VM "connected to the public Internet [etc]."

Do you have a specific scenario where a cloud-init enabled image is
exploitable when set up by a naive user?

Rich.

More about cloud-init data sources:
http://cloudinit.readthedocs.org/en/latest/topics/datasources.html

http://libguestfs.org/virt-v2v