Re: Why can't ExecStopPre= be used to abort stopping a (broken) service?

On 07/15/2013 10:15 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
The correct way here is to stay true to what is tried and tested in the legacy sysv init scripts and add the config parser to the ExecStartPre= line in the unit file.

I have that now, but it still causing the service to terminate after a
"restart", which I think is less desirable than running with the old
config. But again, with the option there, people can choose what they
prefer.

Indeed but I was thinking more distro wide as in enabling this by default ( which makes sense if we add this ) for those service/daemon that support config parsing followed by Restart=on-failure which would deliver 99.9% uptime of the service/daemon. ( the only down time being when the admin shutdowns the service or it being restarted during updates ) but here is just that problem if notifying the admin of the parsing error..

You might actually be able to hack your self around this via double ExecStop= lines one with the conf parser followed by the actual daemon/service ExecStop line.

I guess if we are going to support ExecRestartPre= we need to also add ExecReloadPre= and arguably if we do add this we should update the units for the reason I mention here above.

JBG