Re: F20 System Wide Change: No Default Sendmail

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I worry about the security implications of mail that would have gone
> to root@ being either silently discarded or unknowingly ignored.
>
> If there is no other way to send mail to local users, we should have a
> local MTA configured for such.

Even with an MTA installed, the default was for mail to root was to be
unknowingly ignored.  With no MTA installed, at least a program that
tries to send mail to root can discover that it failed, and log
something to syslog (or systemd journal, or something), though that's
arguably what it should have been doing in the first place rather than
sending mail to root.  In my experience it is far more common for a
sysadmin to look at the syslog on a machine than to mail delivered to
root on that machine.

Eric