Re: F20 System Wide Change: ARM as primary Architecture

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 11:50:40AM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 11:36:00 +0200
> Till Maas <opensource@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 02:06:12PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> >
> > > we have a kernel and initramfs, that can be pxe booted or you can
> > > boot and load, however we have not made it the primary mathod of
> > > install for boards because they generally can only boot and run
> > > from a sdcard you would need to install to the boot media. it quite
> > > possibly works just fine other than not installing uboot to the
> > > sdcard in the way needed, however for non omap systems that copy
> > > the file into a partition it will likely work ok. so cubieboard
> > > since you need to dd u-boot into a particular location of the
> > > sdcard it should still be there post install.  Its not tested at
> > > all however.
> >
> > I cannot completely follow here. However, I guess the images you mean
> > are the following:
> > http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/19/Fedora/armhfp/os/images/pxeboot/
> >
> > Is there any particular reason, why there is no signed CHECKSUM file
> > for these? What is required for these images to be able to run
> > anaconda and install packages? I assume that anaconda won't verify
> > package signatures, therefore I guess a copy of manual verified RPMs
> > is required?
>
> We don't make and sign CHECKSUMS for the equivalent bits on any arch.
> to have anaconda run you need to boot the kernel and initramfs. and
> pass to it options to find the rest of the bits. exactly as is done on
> primary. though you likely need to instrall u-boot to the sdcard then
> setup a boot.scr that loads things for you. and hopefully anaconda will
> let you destroy it when running. since you will be booting from the
> target media.
>
> > And what can be done with the live image:
> > http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/19/Fedora/armhfp/os/LiveOS/
>
> > (It is also not signed)
>
> Also true of all arches, we don't make CHECKSUMS or sign them

At least a while ago these files were available in signed iso images for
the primary arch. Nevertheless, what is (supposed to be) possible with
the LiveOS image for ARM?

> > The raw disk images seem to be signed:
> > http://ftp-stud.hs-esslingen.de/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/19/Images/armhfp/Fedora-Images-armhfp-19-CHECKSUM
> > But I noticed that here SHA1 is used instead of SHA256 for the GPG
> > signature and the comment about sha256sum being used to generate the
> > hashes is missing, e.g. the primary archs have files like these:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/static/checksums/Fedora-19-x86_64-CHECKSUM
>
> probably a difference in the setup of the sigul between primary and
> secondary arches. the comment about sha256sum only ever exists in pungi
> generated CHECKSUMS all the manually generated ones which includes Live
> and Spins trees do not have it. if you want to change things i suggest
> you join Release engineering and help me to make things better rather
> than just complain that how I do things doesn't suit your needs.
> Release Engineering is me with a lot of help from Kevin Fenzi and over
> the last few releases a lot more has been asked from me which means
> many things that could have been done have not been. as is Both Kevin
> and I work a lot more than 40 hours.

Thank you, I will gladly help. I believe I already helped with releng
tasks in the past, back then when buildroot overrides had to be done
manually. If you give me any pointers to what I can do to get the things
signed, I will take a look. I found so far

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Stage_final_release_for_mirrors
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Create_release_signing_key

but they are not up-to-date and only show the user POV for the sigul
system not the admin POV. So how do we proceed here? If you give me
access to the respective system, I can start with updating the
documentation and you can review them to verify I understand the
process. I guess this probably also helps to identify the reason for the
different hash algorithms used.

> > Here is a ticket for this:
> > https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/3888
>
> the ticket is for nothing mentioned in this email

It mentions the different hash method of the CHECKSUM files.

Regards
Till