Re: More unhelpful update descriptions

On 06/29/2013 05:12 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

I do agree that the RPM changelog is completely useless in the case of
most of my packages, and if there is something interesting there it
would benefit from a slightly longer description in the update summary
rather than some magical automatic inclusion of the RPM changelog.

"changelogs should contain CVEs of backported security patches"

RPM changelog is the most accessible record on an installed system. Many environments require accountability for security patching---admins must be able to respond whether they are patched against specific exploits usually given by their CVE number. They can either show that 'we have version 5.5.13 which fixes this bug', or else that the fix was backported---and an RPM changelog listing security fixes by CVE numbers is a very convenient way of proving that.

It seems to be a widely used practice, but it is not a formal requirement. I opened a RFE for that to happen.