Re: Software Management call for RFEs

On 2013-05-24, Jonathan Dieter <jdieter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 08:03 +0000, Petr Pisar wrote:
>> Do you know virtual packages are forbidden in Fedora?
>
> Sorry, I just scanned through the guidelines and didn't see this
> anywhere.  Do you mind citing a reference, please?

Well it's probably not forbidden by guidelines, but I've heard this rule
many times. There exists a thread on fedora-packaging mailing list
<http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2009-January/005481.html>.
I also think rpmlint considers empty package as an error and I remember
I saw an rpmbuild run that did not produce an sub-package just because
there was no %files section.

Despite all of that I consider this solution with meta sub-packages as
the best option until RPM will support disjunction.

-- Petr