Re: wired ethernet disabled between reboots, was: when startup delays become bugs

On Sun, 2013-05-19 at 09:59 -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 1:10 AM, Chris Murphy <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Either it was set to "no" during installation, or something set it to
> >> "no" after the install.  NetworkManager won't ever change that value by
> >> itself.  Something else (like the GUI, or directly editing that file
> >> with VIM/emacs/etc) had to change it.
> >
> > It was set to no during installation, user unaware of this.
> >
> > The Gnome shell > Settings > Network > Wired > gear button > Identity > Connect automatically checkbox is what affects the ONBOOT= value. A similarly named checkbox is checked in anaconda on Fedora 18, but is unchecked if the cable is unplugged in anaconda on Fedora 19. So the resulting installation gets an ONBOOT=no and stays that way until the user finds, five layers deep, this weird Connect automatically checkbox.
> >
> > But this bug has brought me to a plethora of buggy behavior in the Gnome Settings Network panel, so maybe the misery was worth it.
>
> *THIS*. *This* kind of thing is why NetworkManager remains unusable
> for production network configuratoin. The very powerful and flexible
> shell scripting written into the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> infrastructure is neither pro0perly displayed by nor manageable by the
> NetworkManager gui's. It is not even a good GUI becuase it violates
> over half of the open source GUI guidelines published by Eric Raymond
> in his essay on GU's, "The Luxury of Ignorance".

I'd be very interested to know how, exactly, the network-scripts are
"neither properly displayed nor manageable".  What options in the
scripts do you not find in the GUI?  And if so, please state *which*
GUI, whether that's GNOME control center, nm-connection-editor, or KDE's
network panel.  Also note the NetworkManager daemon and API usually
provides the full range of functionality, customization, knobs,
twiddles, properties, etc, and it's up to the GUIs to figure out what to
display.  There's also nmcli, which we're furiously working on to expose
everything admins may need without a GUI.

Dan