Re: Adding open-vm-tools to core group

On Thu, 2013-05-02 at 22:44 +0200, Simone Caronni wrote:
> On 2 May 2013 22:24, Richard W.M. Jones <rjones@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         I'm a bit worried that this might make it harder to produce
>         generic
>         cloud images [eg. using Oz].  But then again, perhaps people
>         making
>         generic cloud images should use kickstarts and specify the
>         precise
>         list of packages they want ...
>

> I think is already a bit too late, unfortunately. On my laptop:
>
> xorg-x11-drv-vmmouse-13.0.0-1.fc18.x86_64
> xorg-x11-drv-vmware-12.0.2-3.20120718gite5ac80d8f.fc18.x86_64
> xorg-x11-drv-qxl-0.0.22-5.20120718gitde6620788.fc18.x86_64
> spice-vdagent-0.14.0-1.fc18.x86_64

Well, "we have this thing that sucks, so let's add this OTHER thing that
sucks" has never been the strongest logic :P

I don't really hate the 'let's just install it everywhere and make sure
it doesn't run unless it's necessary' approach, but it is kinda lazy
engineering, and it *does* waste space on those small-space cases Peter
is always reminding us about. Especially if this stuff goes in core.

It seems like the thing to do would be to ask anaconda if it's
feasible / desirable to make the installation of this stuff contingent
on the environment. I kinda agree with Rich on the 'generic cloud image'
case; it doesn't seem like it'd be too difficult to just explicitly
include the necessary packages in generating such an image, so I don't
think it's particularly compelling to say we have to put useless
packages on everyone's systems just so that someone building a generic
image has a slightly easier time of it.

If anaconda doesn't want to do the 'contingent install' thing, then the
'just install it everywhere' option seems like the second best choice.

Has anyone checked how much stuff it pulls in to an existing minimal
install? We don't want anything that drags in a pile of deps that we
don't already have in a minimal install.
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=3975641 doesn't look
bad just eyeballing it, but I'll try and find a minute to fire up a
minimal install then 'yum install' the package to see how much it adds.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey