Re: Embedded SIG

On 04/21/2013 02:05 PM, Dan Mashal wrote:
On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 5:01 AM, Markus Mayer <lotharlutz@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I have started developing for embedded devices (aka microcontrollers) lately
(mainly ARM cortex-M3 devices). Although fedora provides some of the needed
tools, there are still some bits missing to provide a good out-of-the-box
experience.

So I have decide to ask if there are others like me, and if there are
willing to form a SIG (special interest group) to enhance embedded
developing with fedora.

I think the main things to discuss within the sig are:
- Finding out what fedora is missing to provide a good develepmont
experience
- Packaging (Cross-compilers, cross-debugers, ...)

So if you are interested in helping to move thinks further or if you have
any interesting/help-full information, I would highly appreciate your help.

regards

Markus

How does this differ from the already existing ARM sig?

Dan

Yes, there are many overlaps. But the goals are different (Bringing Fedora (as a whole) to arm devices vs. providing a good development environment/experience for developing for embedded devices).

Maybe some examples make is more clear.
Overlaps:
- cross compiler for arm (please note that the arm sig is not required to provide it, because all builds must be self hosted) - Providing cross-platform gdb builds (right there is not such a package, so the arm sig apparently does not need one (but maybe it would also be usefull for them))

Differences:
- Not tied to one platform (embedded devices also uses mips and others)
- Focusing on embedded devices (like providing tools to debug via jtag (like openocd))

But of course I am not insisting on forming an sig. If a subgroup of the secondary arch sig would be a better choice, I would happily follow.