Re: Keeping old versions of packages

> From: Chris Adams <cmadams@xxxxxxxxxx>
> The metadata starts in XML before being loaded into an SQLite DB file,
> and the XML is in the repodata directory with the DB.  However, both are
> compressed, as they are large.  For example, the current
> updates/18/x86_64 XML is over 34M (5M gzip compressed), and the DB is
> 41M (9M bzip2 compressed).  I'm guessing there are historical reasons
> why different compression is used; both could be made noticeably smaller
> with xz (XML to just over 3M, DB to 7M), but that's still a lot of data
> to download (and there are also other metadata files that have to be
> downloaded sometimes, especially the filelists.xml.gz, which is 10M gzip
> compressed).

I was thinking there had been some xz integration recently.  Maybe that was with the delta rpm support.  I don't follow that though since we have a local mirror, there's not much point in rsycing, storing, etc. the deltas.

> I'm not sure when the XML is downloaded instead of (or in addition to)
> the DB, but it does appear to happen (I see one example in my mirror
> server web logs this morning for example).

I've wondered about that too.  I sure hope we didn't add the efficient method on top of the inefficient method, rather than replace it.

--
John Florian