Re: package, package2, package3 naming-with-version exploit

Le Mer 3 avril 2013 18:19, Miloslav Trmač a écrit :
> On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Petr Pisar <ppisar@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 2013-04-03, Miloslav Trmač <mitr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > "How does (yum update) work with multiple installed versions?"
>> >
>> > We already can install simultaneously 25 different RPMs with the same
>> > %{name}.  But what does (yum uprade) do when the repositories one
>> month
>> > later contain 35 different RPMs with that name, none matching the
>> original
>> > 25?
>> >
>> Those within same branch/slot will be updated to latest in the
>> branch/slot.
>

> That's roughly what I was talking about two mails earlier, except that I
> called it "API identifier", and AFAICS there is no reasonable way to
> assign
> an API identifier that would make sense (roughly because whether an API
> identifier makes sense depends on packages that _require_ the identifier,
> not on the package that _provides_ it, so it is not a local property).

And that is just a rehash of the old "it's too much work to help the
upstreams of my deps to fix their stuff, I'll workaround it locally"
argument.

That way of working does not scale. It's just a developer shortcut to
avoid paying his technical debts and push the problems to someone else
downstream.
(note that those developer problems are always caused by other developer
sloppy practices but they blame the distro environment that forces them to
do something about it). Besides, it is against Fedora's explicit goals.

The root of the clashes between devs and system/distro people is that devs
are used to having layers of people they can dump un-sexy problems on (qa,
systems, support) while distro people tend to be more aware the next layer
is the user and system success is about not dumping problems on them.

--
Nicolas Mailhot