Re: How do *you* use Fedora?

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 02, 2013 at 03:28:21PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >>I'm considering system specs at this point, but establishing the roles
> >>deployed might aid in targeting more comprehensive documentation. Beyond a
> >>basic desktop, what use cases would you like to see us represent?
> >Cloud guest, please.
> What kind of cloud? What kind of guest?
> I'm worried that this will turn into a very large and amorphous
> effort.

Sure; let's start concrete -- Amazon EC2, starting at M1 Small. If we can
make it run nicely on Micro instances (and I don't see why not), so much the
better.

> Trying to pin down 'typical Fedora use cases' seems rather like trying to
> box a cloud.

Maybe we could at least try to describe the cloud a bit, though? That one
looks like a fluffy bunny....

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 --

I'm not sure we need to get too specific - at least, we can't make specific claims unless someone can validate function, which I can't personally do for cloud guests - but it would be nice to claim function on a certain class of node. Once we clear the installer hurdle, a minimal system doesn't need much.

Clearly, the memory requirements of the installation environment can't be equated to the memory requirements for the running environment, especially for cloud guests. @minimal requires less memory to install than a full desktop - but does anyone want to run Fedora with less memory than that, or is doing so venturing out of reasonable guidelines and into proof-of-concept adventureland?

-- Pete Travis
- Fedora Docs Project Leader
- 'randomuser' on freenode
- immanetize at fedoraproject.org