Re: fedora release name problem

On 19/03/13 08:30 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:

<mailto:rjones@xxxxxxxxxx>>

 > > An interesting question is:  Why don't we try out the new release name
 > > early on in Rawhide.  ie. we would change the release name now to
 > > whatever F20 is going to be + " (Rawhide)".  Wouldn't that give us a
 > > lot more time to test and fix?
 >
 > That seems like a great idea ... and it also adds in a test for
handling parenthesis.  I can't imagine how they'd pose a problem, but
clearly nobody foresaw this train coming either.

Err the fedora 19 voting for names started around the release of F18
alpha. Its been set as this for around 6 months already, I suspect its
only become an issue with people starting to create images etc.

It isn't applied anywhere till branch. Rawhide always uses the release name 'Rawhide'. Even though it's voted on a long way ahead of time, the new release name is only applied in the tree at branch time. Several people were using Rawhide considerably in advance of branching - including myself - and the problems showed up right when we branched and the new fedora-release package was rolled.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey