Re: Improving the Fedora boot experience

On 03/12/2013 02:03 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Am 12.03.2013 17:32, schrieb Chris Murphy:
On Mar 12, 2013, at 6:02 AM, Jiří Eischmann <eischmann@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

New kernels bring a lot of
regressions and we don't have enough test coverage to avoid them. The
general solution to those problems is to go back to the last working
kernel version. But by making it less obvious we make these frequent
problems more difficult to solve.
This is completely specious. A user who considers falling back to an
older kernel as a troubleshooting step also knows how this selection
is made and where to go look for it
THIS IS WRONG
Oh really?

Yes, it is wrong. We're not talking about just new users here. If you're going to hide how to select a different kernel, how am I, an experienced sysadmin supposed to figure it out when things go south?

F18 screwed my computer royally with regards to sleep & restore and I had to boot older kernels to get the machine stable. As it stands, there were a list of kernels I chose the upper most one which didn't have problems...under what people are proposing I'd have to google it on some other machine or just mash the keyboard and hope I find something that gives me some options

I don't know why people are so enamored by making it difficult to troubleshoot problems.