Re: Building broken in rawhide for packages requiring mysql? Re: MySQL-libs conflicts with mariadb-libs-5.5.29-7.fc19.x86_64

On 03/12/2013 02:03 PM, Norvald H. Ryeng wrote:
On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 19:00:29 +0100, Honza Horak <hhorak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
if I understand it correctly that the problem is caused by conflicting
library names, then it should be solved today (the enhanced package is
already building).

Why not have non-conflicting library names? The APIs are different, so
it makes sense to have both libmysqlclient.so and
libmariadbclient.so. These can co-exist and applications can choose
which library to build against.

That would mean to persuade many depended projects to enhance their building configuration. Unless these projects start using some in-compatible features regularly, I don't think it would be worth changing the library name -- such projects currently don't care if it is build against mysql or mariadb.

The solution that's currently implemented (bumping the version of the
original libmysqlclient.so from 18 to 1018) is a hack and not a
long-term solution.

True, I'm expecting MySQL will be rebased to 5.6 and mariadb to 10.0 sooner or later and I don't believe that library versions will remain the same at that point. What does MySQL upstream actually plan with library version in 5.6? Is it going to be bumped?

Honza