Re: RFC: Fedora revamp proposal

On 04/03/13 10:18 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
This is a proposal of changes to the way future Fedora cycles should
work and integrate changes.

So just a couple of notes on the proposal:

It's phrased in very technical terms here - probably a wise choice - but I think it's worth noting one of the angles we took in discussing it in person at FUDCon is that it has the potential to contribute to the more general idea of making Fedora more flexible in terms of what we can build and release. It has the effect of giving us a defined 'core' of functionality on top of which we could build various things. It would only be one piece of a larger puzzle here - things like better image building tools and Formulas are part of the same puzzle - but it's an element I was quite interested in.

Also, I recall the in-person discussions making it clearer that this plan is pretty strongly dependent on automated testing. This has been discussed somewhat in the follow-ups, but to make sure it's very clear, my reading of the proposal is that it would require substantially more sophisticated and reliable tests than we currently have in AutoQA, and we'd need development resources - either RH paid, or volunteer - to build AutoQA up to the point where it could support this plan without causing unnecessary disruption.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey