Re: Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

On 18/02/13 09:01 PM, Sergei Golubchik wrote:
Hi, Andrew!

On Feb 18, Andrew Rist wrote:
No, it's not crippleware - it's the world's most popular open source
database software.

A world's most popular open source database software can be crippleware
too. Wikipedia defines crippleware as
"
   Deliberately limited programs are usually freeware versions of
   computer programs that lack the most advanced (or even crucial)
   features of the original program. Limited versions are made available
   in order to increase the popularity of the full program without giving
   it away free.  An example of crippleware is a word processor that
   cannot save or print.  However, crippleware programs can also
   differentiate between tiers of paying software customers.

   The term "crippleware" is sometimes used to describe software products
   whose functions have been limited (or "crippled") with the sole
   purpose of encouraging or requiring the user to pay for those
   functions (either by paying a one-time fee or an on-going subscription
   fee).
"

You can decide for yourself whether MySQL fits this definition or not.

MySQL Community Edition is available under the GPL license and is
supported by a huge and active community of open source developers
[1].   Among the many recent improvements are some substantial
performance improvements delivered in MySQL 5.6 [2].

A lot of new features - yes, undoubtely.
Performance improvements - questionable.
This link shows a very different picture:
http://blog.mariadb.org/sysbench-oltp-mysql-5-6-vs-mariadb-10-0/

I'm not sure we need Oracle and Maria tossing grenades at each other. I think we're all broadly aware of the character of both products and able to apply whatever derogatory mental labels we feel appropriate =)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey