Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 06:19:25PM +0100, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> This is going towards getting political... Let's say that, at the
> very least, nobody will ever invoke "openoffice.org" if he wants to
> run "libreoffice", regardless of which software is the newcomer. So
> at least this source of confusion should go away, again by pure
> common sense and not even taking trademarks into account.

My understanding is that trademarks don't protect functional interfaces,
so in the absence of legal advice to the contrary we certainly shouldn't
be taking trademarks into account here. If the libreoffice maintainers
aren't enthusiastic about removing their existing aliases, it's probably
going to have to be resolved as a policy issue via FESCO.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx