Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

On 02/05/2013 08:45 AM, drago01 wrote:
On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 02/05/2013 07:42 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 07:19 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

On 02/05/2013 05:51 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:

On Tue, 2013-02-05 at 02:59 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:

, but since you started it: OpenSUSE is doing just fine
doing exactly what I suggest (making people actually pick their
download).
Their download button actually points to a selector, not directly to an
ISO.

That would be the SUSE that along with Mandriva got completely panned
when Ubuntu showed up, then?

Is the situation Fedora is in essentially better? I feel no.

Reality is, when mentioning Fedora to Linux users, I am having
difficulties to not get laughed at. "Freaks'/nerds' distro", "Ubuntu is
much easier", "Fedora lacks soooo much", "Way too unstable", "Way too
short life-cycles" are the usual answers.

Let's not go down that path. It's far off topic.

I disagree. Fedora's lack of popularity is largely thanks to these issues.

No the desktop choice isn't the issue (it wasn't any more popular in
the GNOME2 days).

In the Gnome2 days you had choices between functionally similar DEs.

Times have changed ... Gnome has been forked multiply (Gnome3, MATE, Cinammon), xfce/enlightenment are back.

Why? IMO, due to user dissatisfaction with what primarily Fedora and Ubuntu ship as default DEs, rsp. because Gnome has dropped their former userbase.

For the "advanced users" the desktop choice matters even less because
they know how to chose a desktop.

To "advanced users" anaconda enforcing GNOME is defect ;)

Ralf