Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

On 02/05/2013 04:36 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 21:49 -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

Honestly, what kind of benefit to the community do you expect from a
user who gets confused just by looking at a couple nice screenshots
and reading some brief explanation? Have you ever met such a person
(incapable of understanding two sentences but useful to the
community)? Don't you think regarding your users this way a tad
disrespectful?

It's an *initial* state, not a never-changing one. When I first decided
I was going to try Linux, I wanted to try Linux. I wanted exactly what
our download page gives you - a simple link to a thing called Linux I
could download and fiddle with. I'm not sure I wanted my first encounter
with the Linux world to be a boxout explaining to me what KDE and GNOME
were and asking me to pick one or the other.

It would have been a one time beginners encounter, you'd have forgotten very soon. I'd classify it as an negligible and ignoreable detail, which is burried in the amount of issues newcomers will have to struggle with later on.

That said, I'd consider this issue to be way overrated and would expect Fedora to bee more attractive to users, if it offered a fair choice of DEs.

These things are obviously
things I came to learn about later, but they're not the most fascinating
topic to deal with when you first decide you want to play around with
this here Linux thing.

I think you are putting too much emphasize on "first-timers" and seem to be forgetting the "Linux distro switcher-users". For them, easily finding the DE they know from their so-far used distro and easily switching between alternative DEs would be an important feature.

Ralf