Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

On Thu, 2013-01-31 at 18:02 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 31.01.2013 17:56, schrieb Miloslav Trmač:

> >> with provides/obsoletes it would be IMPOSSIBLE to install mysql
> >> because ANY update to the mariadb package would replace it
> >
> > Incorrect. Feel free to read the FESCo meeting log for details
>
> i do not need to read any theory
> and why have you stripped the relevant part below?
>
> Obsoletes: dovecot-mysql
> Provides:  dovecot-mysql
>
> was used by me two days ago for my private dovecot-builds to
> no longer spilt out "dovecot-mysql" to a seperate apckage as
> the fedora one does

I haven't read the FESCo logs, but here's the obvious thing you're
missing: you're only considering *unversioned* obsoletes. Consider this
(version numbers are simplified as this is just an example):

F18 contains mysql-5.0.0-1.fc18
F19 contains mysql-5.0.0-2.fc19 and mariadb-1.0-1.fc19

mariadb-1.0-1.fc19 can have this:

Obsoletes: mysql < 5.0.0-2.fc19
Provides: mysql

I believe this would result in mysql being replaced with mariadb on
upgrade from F18 to F19, but mysql-5.0.0-2.fc19 still being installable.
I'll take a guess that may have been what was in the FESCo log. We'd
have to ensure the F18 package's version never exceeded the F19 mariadb
package's Obsoletes: threshold, of course, but that's not an
insurmountable barrier if you plan for it.

I believe the packaging guidelines recommend that Obsoletes be versioned
and discourage them being unversioned - precisely to allow for the
'resurrection' of the obsoleted package in future, if it seems
advisable. This is really just a planned, very short term version of
that.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey