Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

On 31 January 2013 13:28, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The confusion is already there in Windows world, linux user should be
> more capable of treating it as freedom of choice instead of confusion.
> Also, since Apache took over OpenOffice.org and put it out of
> incubation, it seems the development has been progressing rather well
> and in a different direction than LibreOffice. While both started from
> the same point, they're going to be different office suites with
> different feature sets, different UIs, different devs, etc.

Maybe a power user is able to understand the main differences between
LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice but, what about newbie users?

> I think it's beneficial to provide Fedora users with the choice of
> installing either, or even both, provided there's enough interest
> among the devs to make it so. From a user point of view, I think the
> main manpower for F19 should go into getting it into repos and solving
> *all* conflicts. They should be parallel installable and should not
> conflict even at runtime with each other. Especially the runtime
> conflicts would be really confusing to (some of) our users.

We adopted LibreOffice as the other GNU/Linux distributions and now we
want reintroduce Apache OpenOffice. This corresponds to admit we made
a wrong choice! this way of act is a lack of coherence.
As Ambassador I can't see benefits for Fedora but only problems for
our users. this proposal is only a point of failure.

my 2 cents,
regards,
Marina

> With regards,