Re: Proposed F19 Feature: CUPS 1.6

Thanks!

> > 3) in "how to test" there is no mention of print quality
> > regressions. I'm concerned that in the effort to sync with cups-1.6
> > and upstream, mostly just the mechanics of finding a printer and
> > getting a page out are being tested.
> >
> > This is just scratching the surface. How are you going to evaluate
> > quality? I'm concerned about the rasterization changes, the filter
> > changes. Hopefully 1.6 may solve some of the image-quality
> > regressions I've been seeing.
>
> 'How to test' needs to be enhanced, yes.
>
> > 4) In the past, I've found it difficult to debug cups filters step
> > by step. Especially with so many rasterization/filter changes. As
> > part of the move to 1.6, will things like:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems
> > be updated?
>
> These instructions are still valid with cups-1.6 & cups-filters.
>
> > I would love it if issues like "what driver am I using"
> > could be re-integrated into the UI, or perhaps an admin level of the
> > ui. Also, "what filters did I run to get to this point of output"
> > in a log file.
>
> What UI do you have in mind ? system-config-printer ?

No. I find system-config-printer cannot correctly render or otherwise
limits many parts of these more complicated drivers. YMMV.

I always end up going to the current cups
universal interface, ie localhost:631.

Say for print quality, I would check output against the following print
queues.

- whatever default thing Fedora suggests
- whatever additional thing suggested via additional FOSS filters
- stock pdfraster via ghostscript/cairo
- espr raster (compat with Apple output)

My questions, rephrased are:

1. How do I set this up on the GUI? How do I set this up on the TUI? Do
the GUI/TUI/WebUI's sync?
2. If I have a test file, and want to print it on all the above
configs on the same printer in the same setup to test quality, how do
I do it?  (Or any multi-config setup) How do I log the filter steps so
I can pinpoint quality errors? What components do I pay attention to,
what versions and interactions are important?

best,
Benjamin