Re: Proposed F19 Feature: CUPS 1.6

On 01/29/2013 07:10 PM, Benjamin De Kosnik wrote:
1) is there a way to test just the cups-1.6 stuff on F18? Or will
people who want to help with this effort be running rawhide?

Either run rawhide or use builds from
http://jpopelka.fedorapeople.org/cups-1.6/
which is what I run here on F18.

2) will there be a way to parallel install current-1.5 with the beta-1.6
stack?

No

3) in "how to test" there is no mention of print quality regressions.
I'm concerned that in the effort to sync with cups-1.6 and upstream,
mostly just the mechanics of finding a printer and getting a
page out are being tested.

This is just scratching the surface. How are you going to evaluate
quality? I'm concerned about the rasterization changes, the filter
changes. Hopefully 1.6 may solve some of the image-quality regressions
I've been seeing.

'How to test' needs to be enhanced, yes.

4) In the past, I've found it difficult to debug cups filters step by
step. Especially with so many rasterization/filter changes. As part of
the move to 1.6, will things like:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_debug_printing_problems
be updated?

These instructions are still valid with cups-1.6 & cups-filters.

I would love it if issues like "what driver am I using"
could be re-integrated into the UI, or perhaps an admin level of the
ui. Also, "what filters did I run to get to this point of output" in a
log file.

What UI do you have in mind ? system-config-printer ?

Will the "running cups filters" by hand thing be updated?

Maybe later when we have 1.6 in all releases. I don't see a reason at the moment. The example there is just an example and what filters are run depends on the PPD.

5) integration with common printing dialog. (IMHO localhost:631).
I think integrating Fedora's print dialogs with the wider user
communities on macos and ubuntu would be very useful.

Not sure what you mean with "Fedora's". The print dialogs we use on Fedora are part of GTK/QT and therefore are used on Ubuntu too.

--
Jiri