Re: Proposed F19 Feature: systemd features

Kay Sievers (kay@xxxxxxxx) said:
> > Either you're intending for the lifetime of your OS to be shipping systemd
> > updates that update the base data set,
>
> I don't intend to ship update packages in the context of systemd, we
> can just update the data in the package like we add patches for other
> fixes, in case we need an update. In the end PCI+USB IDs are just
> pretty boring names for humans, not used in the system itself. What
> makes them so special? It really sounds more like cosmetic care, than
> a real technical need to update these more often than we will need to
> update systemd anyway.
>
> > or you're intending to be shipping
> > updated data sets in a separate package.
>
> We can just do that, but still could ship the default data in the main package.

Would we be moving the other data to this model as well? I note that in
F18 we ended up building systemd many many times just to update keymap
conversions; it's wasteful in terms of builds and updates for users to be
updating all of systemd just to add a new French keymap conversion, or
to add a quirk just for some new laptop.

The point is, we've done this in the past where we shipped the data with
the tools, and we very quickly moved to shipping the data separate - it's
cleaner, allows for just updating the data when necessary, and it forces
people to keep their API & ABI for accessing it stable. :)

Bill