Re: Proposed F19 Feature: Dracut HostOnly

On Jan 29, 2013, at 2:29 PM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Much of the time is saved in the bootloader, since the initrd imager is
> now much shorter the boot loader will require muss less time to read it
> into memory.  systemd-analyze won't show you this data (unless you run a
> git version and use gummiboot as boot loader.)

There's less than 1 second improvement from GRUB timeout to login prompt on the VM backed by SSD.

There's maybe 4 seconds improvement on bare metal using this same "feel" metric.

I haven't used gummiboot, so maybe I'll do some testing in the next cycle. For now, I've had quite enough of "it's a dessert topping and a floor wax" Rube Goldberg method of booting a computer with a UX I could hardly imagine my Doppelgänger inventing.

> (And 10s boot, that's bad. Do you have LVM in the loop?

No LVM in either case. The 10s result is ext4 no journal single partition, VDI, VirtualBox, on OS X, on SSD. So that's two hits (vbox and xnu).

Chris Murphy