Re: Adding asynchronous name resolution to GlibC (was: Reproposed F19 Feature: Fix Network Name Resolution)

On Fri, 18.01.13 22:49, Andreas Tunek (andreas.tunek@xxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> I think you have a good point, but adding every imaginable featw into glibc
> is not really a good solution. Maybe glib is a better place for these kinds
> of functions?

Because doing this externally is really hard. I wrote a library for that
named "libasyncns", and glib's async resolver is based on that.

libasyncns is different from other libraries for resolving host names in
that i actually uses the NSS, rather than just implementing DNS on its
own. This has the benefit actually all kinds of hostnames are supported,
including those served from LDAP, NIS, mDNS and whatever the user
prefers. Now, since NSS and the libc APIs around it are inherentlich
synchronous the only way to make them asynchronous without touching
glibc is by running them in a separate thread/process. And doing that
behind the back of the user is kinda problematic from libraries.

So, bypassing NSS is not really an option to fix this properly. And if
you want asynchronous name resolution without involvement of threads and
suchlike then your only option is to make NSS asynchronous in itself,
and you cannot do that without reworking glibc substantially.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.