Re: Feedback wanted: Fedora Formulas

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I've whipped up the early ideas of a way to replace (most) spins with
> something that is more generic and useful. I have signed up for a
> fudcon session to brainstorm on this idea and see if it can be beaten
> into a plan/schedule/feature, or if it's not going to work for whatever
> reason.
>
> I have a very brainstormy/draft wiki page outlining the idea at:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_formulas
>
> The short version:
>
> Setup a infrastructure/framework around a collection of ansible
> playbooks to allow our users to simply download a formula for what they
> want to do and have a curated setup made for them using Fedora
> packages.
>
> Want a electionics lab setup? download. review. answer some
> questions. click.
> Want a LAMP stack? download. review. answer some questions. click.
> Want a openstack demo cluster? ditto.
> Want a graphics designer workstation? ditto.
>
> Note that this assumes you have already installed Fedora, it's a post
> install setup. This would mean that we should continue to do spins for
> various desktops as people may way to install their desktop as a base
> before adding on formulas.

Looking at the distribution of even the desktop spins it jumps out at
me that only the KDE spin seems to exceed 100 downloads while we
distribute all of them in the thousands via pressed multi-desktop
media which we also make available to users for download or transfer
to USB as a group. This "indirect" distribution of desktop spins is
likely close to two orders of magnitude larger than the direct
download distribution. From a marketing perspective I think the
multi-desktop media form of distribution achieves the desired ends
even in the absence of pushing individual desktop spins to all the
mirrors.

Which makes me wonder if we should consider having a pre-desktop base
with formulas for the desktops as well? Even if the answer to that is
no I can imagine lots of potential uses for which the existence of a
desktop isn't necessary or even desirable.

John