Re: Feedback wanted: Fedora Formulas

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 13:50:31 +0100
Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/09/2013 01:27 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> > On 9 January 2013 12:23, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> >> Down-sides, there'd no longer be a live-cd/dvd as a 'demo' system.
> >> You could only try out the formula on an installed system. It
> >> looks though like people are already suggesting overlaying a
> >> formula somehow to create traditional live images (presumably
> >> still with the advantages of being able to tweak configuration).

Yeah, there would be another step, but in this step you could gain some
interactivity and more features.

ie:

live spin case:
- download spin
- burn/transfer to media
- boot and use

formula case:
- download whatever desktop the user likes.
- burn/transfer to media
- boot
- run formula frontend, click 'fedora jams'
- answer some questions, get offered some tutorials or other info.
- use

So, there are more steps (downside), but you get to offer them a better
experience (at least potentially).

> > P.S. that downside also may translate to more difficult testing and
> > development. With spin development I've been able to make a live cd
> > and then run it live or run it live/install it within a VM. With a
> > formula you have to have an already-installed image in a VM and then
> > make the formula available for install within it. (Advantage though,
> > compiling a formula *must* be quicker than rebuilding a live image.)

Sure, you can make a stock vm and clone it each time for testing too.

Also, btrfs/lvm snapshots might help.

> Agreed to both your downsides. The goal of the spin was to have as
> much configured 'out of the box' in a live environment firstly then
> as the installed user.
>
> I can't see this as being a replacement but perhaps it could be used
> in this context as well (post install).

Yeah, it was pointed out to me that there are still some other spins
use cases that I am not sure we can replace here. Namely:

- Security lab - one of the uses is to boot ro on a possibly
  compromised machine and inspect it. You don't want a real install for
  that.

- Other spins - Some people might be (does anyone know if they do?)
  using live media in labs where they don't want to touch the installs
  on the machines, but use just one for a class or session. ie, boot 15
  machines up with design-suite, do a class on gimp, pull them and
  reboot machines in whatever else they had on them.

kevin