Re: GRUB menu hidden by default?

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:20 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Apart from all the bullshit about cars, which part of "it's part of
> upstream grub2" are you people not understanding? This is not our code.
> This is how grub2-mkconfig works. We are not going to get into the game
> of patching bootloader behaviour downstream again. You don't want grub2
> to generate nested menus by default, you can go upstream and argue with
> the grub developers. Please keep this crap out of Fedora lists.

Not that I care about the details of grub2 - still I don't understand
the above reasoning.  If an user-visible aspect of the user experience
is "not our code" and doesn't belong on these lists, what _does_
belong on Fedora-devel?  After all there is a separate mailing list
even for Anaconda.

And if we are not supposed to patch code shipped by upstreams, what
good can Fedora do at all?

(I can perhaps see a case for "we are not going to significantly
diverge from bootloader's upstream again", as a way to avoid repeating
the grub1 semi-fork.  However applying it to the configuration of the
bootloader is a stretch.)
    Mirek