Re: package reviews: new Release for every update

On 2012-12-29 19:45, Michael Schwendt wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2012 18:23:35 +0000, Jamie Nguyen wrote:

I've seen on a few occasions reviewers mention that they can't tell what
has changed in the spec since the previous version, as the new packager
has overwritten the previous spec.
If the packager does that, it makes the  rpmdev-diff  command less useful,
The src.rpm file name should be different for each new update to the spec
file.
Mixed feelings... Although the purpose and benefits of this is obvious:
- If we cannot applyt the new changleog GL with changes without version bump in a review process, when should they then be applicable?! - But without version bump, the srpm file will get the same name. And both srpm and spec have more or less fixed names for a given package and e-v-r. - the only really consistent scheme is using a directory for each change. Certainly doable but given all the obstacles specially new submitters meet, this might be to much?

These things would perhaps be much easier if there was a better infrastructure....keeping the intital links as-is, but with a place handling the process once the ticket is assigned?!

I've also seen reviewers ask the new packager to document changes in the
changelog as they go along, even before release, as it's quite helpful
for both packager and reviewer.
It's common practice to document spec changes in the %changelog. Packagers,
who don't do that during review, often don't know yet how helpful the
changelog can be when running into packaging issues later.
It might perhaps be helpful to add a note to the review process that a change in the spec+srpm should be treated as a 'change' in the changelog GL sense?! I'm a bit surprised I cannot find anything like that, thought we all did so :)

Just my 5c...

--alec