Re: package reviews: new Release for every update

Alec Leamas:
> On 2012-12-29 17:01, Ken Dreyer wrote:
>> I noticed our package review process doesn't explicitly say "After you
>> make an update to the package, bump the 'Release' number and post a
>> new link each time." This is a popular convention, but it doesn't seem
>> to be formally documented.
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_Review_Process
>>
>> Should this guidance be part of our instructions?
>>
>> - Ken
> The GL nowadays allows updating of the spec without a release bump as
> long as nothing is released  [1].  However, the changelog should still
> be updated one way or another.
>
> Also, in many cases the same link is reused, at least for the spec. I
> see nothing wrong in that
>
> That said, what's the problem you want to solve here?
>
> --alec

Being able to track changes is very useful.

I've seen on a few occasions reviewers mention that they can't tell what
has changed in the spec since the previous version, as the new packager
has overwritten the previous spec.

I've also seen reviewers ask the new packager to document changes in the
changelog as they go along, even before release, as it's quite helpful
for both packager and reviewer.

--
Jamie Nguyen