Re: Where are we going? (Not a rant)

On 12/08/2012 12:07 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Completely agree on this one. In my day job we started using Fedora as one
of our desktop os. Then support  issues and upgrade cycle started giving
nightmares to corp IT. They are looking at other avenues now. I really wish
there is a LTS release for this awesome distro -  Fedora.

Why does there need to be a long-term support for Fedora? Why not just
use Red Hat Enterprise Linux?

Fedora is a good initial choice because it has the latest/greatest software set. The problem appears later, because there is no graceful way to switch installed Fedora systems into maintenance mode. This discourages Fedora adoption because it implies a commitment to perpetual upGRADES (as opposed to updates which almost everyone agrees are a necessity in today's world).

By the way, as much as I like RHEL, it also has a difficulty with long term support in a realistic environment where deployed systems age and become less 'important' and actively maintained, until they are not worth paying support for. I suggested to RedHat that they provide a graceful switch-over to CENTOS in such case: it's possible manually anyway, so it would be a nice gesture to do it automatically for customers who let the support expire. As is in our case, this doesn't even decrease the amount of support we purchase---it just gives us the flexibility to deploy new systems all the time.