Re: livemedia-creator and the fedora build system [was Re: appliance-creator: how can I ...]

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012, Dennis Gilmore wrote:

El Sat, 10 Nov 2012 11:12:20 -0500
Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:
On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 07:25:35PM -0800, Brian C. Lane wrote:
I think appliance-creator is pretty much unsupported at this point,
isn't it?

Yes, so moving to ami-creator might be a good choice.

livemedia-creator is supposed to replace livecd-creator,
appliance-creator and ami-creator, although it hasn't seen much
testing for the last 2 cases it does have code that may work :) It
is part of the lorax package.

I'm told by Fedora release engineering folks that we can't use that
-- the builders run in VMs, so virt-install isn't an option, and since
livemedia-creator is based around that, it's not available to us.

Its not available because ive not yet worked out the magic to be able
to create a chroot with the target bits i.e. f18 and run
livemedia-creator in the chroot and have it spin up a vm and do the
install etc and work as it needs to. Its a case of where the tool was
written without thought for the requirements on how it would be run.
we have dedicated physical hardware for building the images on. thats
not at all the issue. either im not clear in how i explain things or
people are only half listening.

We could maybe engineer an alternate build process using the internal
cloud, adapting livecd creator to run on a cloud instance rather than
with virt locally. Or something. Any ideas?

On another note, Boxgrinder also is based around appliance creator,
and it'd be nice to play nicely with those people too.

Boxgrinder is not a viable option at all.

agreed - if for any reason than too many moving parts and a giant software stack behind it.

Dennis,
ami-creator is what I've been using to make imgs for euca and I know it will work for ec2 imgs (provided you have a kernel/ramdisk which works with xen)

And ami-creator only requires a dead-standard stock kickstart file. (well you have to do various things in %post to make the img work when it is spun up in an instance but that's nothing different than normal kickstarty-ness.

-sv