Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

On 11/08/2012 12:47 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
On 11/08/2012 08:40 PM, David Lehman wrote:
No. It is an inevitable consequence of the feature set demanded of the
Fedora OS installer.

If thing A must be able to set up and configure thing B and thing B
changes in ways directly related to said configuration, how can you
reasonably expect thing A to continue to be able to configure thing B
without corresponding changes? Magic?

I'm all for magic but I would expect specific configuration package(s)
and or a configuration template tailored for the component being install
which the installer might use or the package himself would simply do it
post install.

Are there any specific use case where that would not suffice?

JBG

You're focused on packages. How about filesystems? That stuff changes way more often than one would like. LVM? How often do we have to update the command line arguments we pass to do things? --force --force --noIreallymeanit BTRFS? That's all still in development so the tools are changing rapidly.

What about actually getting packages into the filesystem. yum api changes with time, and our use of yum means we have to change our code to work with the API as well. Boot loaders? yeah, go ahead and install the grub package, see what it does in the %post scripts. Oh, you actually want to /configure/ the machine to boot? Well that takes work, work that has to change because /grub/ changes.

I can keep going, but is it really necessary?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!