Re: Fedora 18 Beta to slip by two weeks, Beta release date is now Nov 27

On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 12:03:23PM +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Jaroslav Reznik <jreznik@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > As someone pointed out in yesterday meeting - Fedora is becoming more
> > a combo of time/feature based distribution.
>
> I don't think that's really the case.
>
> The important thing about a time-based schedule is that at some point
> you _stop accepting new features_ (and we do have that), not that
> there is a 100% reliable time when the GA release happens (which we
> don't have).

It might all be definitions but that still sounds like a description of
a feature-based release model.  F19 will have Feature X, Y, and Z.  If
feature X isn't ready yet, we slip our release date until it's ready.

A time-based release would say we're releasing on YYYY-MM-DD.  If feature
X isn't ready to go into the release that's being shipped on that date, the
feature is removed.

In the time-based release model, you still have schedule slips as you either
fix things at the last minute or you invoke plans to revert an incomplete
feature and those plans end up running longer than you thought.  But in
either scheduling case, you are intending to hit as close to your scheduled
release date as possible and choices like "plough ahead with X or revert X"
are evaluated on which is likely to slip the release date the least.

-Toshio