Re: Rolling release model philosophy (was Re: Anaconda is totally trashing the F18 schedule (was Re: f18: how to install into a LVM partitions (or RAID)))

Am 03.11.2012 00:58, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> Microsoft don't really expect you to upgrade Windows. They expect you to
> buy a computer with Windows X on it, use it for three years, then throw
> it away and buy a new computer with Windows Y on it. Red Hat expects
> something similar for RHEL - they don't expect people to upgrade systems
> from RHEL 5 to RHEL 6 on the fly. Corporations spend *years* planning OS
> migrations, which usually involve buying new hardware, not upgrading
> existing systems. This is an implicit acknowledgment that upgrades are
> just not a great way to do things. I don't think we can realistically
> expect Fedora to do it massively better. If you're going to do stable
> releases of your operating system, it just doesn't make a lot of sense
> to make people upgrade every twelve months. If you're going to have
> stable releases, you should maintain them long enough that people don't
> really rely on the upgrade function. That seems to be how the big boys
> do it. If we can't do that, are the stable releases really achieving
> much?

look below, i prove you the opposite

Filesystem created: Mon Aug 18 06:48:05 2008

this is the rootfs, which means it was installed with F9
now it has F17, this machine is from the same golden-master
as any other machine in the whole company and there is running
any service you can imagine on Fedora in production

ANY upgrade was done with yum

so NO fedora is not as bad as you thin in upgrades
the really important ting it that it does not get worser!

YES these are Vmware-guests and that is why UPGRADES becoming
more and more important - the times where you plan new hardware
and install it with a new OS are gone

these days you install the OS on hardware X, buy hardware Y
and move the whole setup live to the new hardware, the same
i am doing even for physical setups on RAID10 - bouy a new
machine, start it with the old disks, maybe re-create the
initrd and AFTER that if i find it nice change disk by
disk and re-sync the RAID or even stuck on the old disks
____________________________

[root@arrakis:~]$ tune2fs -l /dev/sdb1
tune2fs 1.42.3 (14-May-2012)
Filesystem volume name:   /
Last mounted on:          /
Filesystem UUID:          918f24a7-bc8e-4da5-8a23-8800d5104421
Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg
sparse_super large_file uninit_bg dir_nlink
Filesystem flags:         signed_directory_hash
Default mount options:    journal_data_writeback
Filesystem state:         clean
Errors behavior:          Continue
Filesystem OS type:       Linux
Inode count:              393216
Block count:              1572354
Reserved block count:     15723
Free blocks:              999376
Free inodes:              325103
First block:              0
Block size:               4096
Fragment size:            4096
Reserved GDT blocks:      383
Blocks per group:         32768
Fragments per group:      32768
Inodes per group:         8192
Inode blocks per group:   512
Filesystem created:       Mon Aug 18 06:48:05 2008
Last mount time:          Sun Oct 28 19:00:37 2012
Last write time:          Sun Oct 28 19:00:36 2012
Mount count:              18
Maximum mount count:      -1
Last checked:             Tue Mar 27 00:36:36 2012
Check interval:           31104000 (12 months)
Next check after:         Thu Mar 21 23:36:36 2013
Lifetime writes:          1119 GB
Reserved blocks uid:      0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid:      0 (group root)
First inode:              11
Inode size:               256
Journal inode:            8
First orphan inode:       34371
Default directory hash:   tea
Directory Hash Seed:      1e9d689f-15fe-4c0d-aaba-9d323049c7f4
Journal backup:           inode blocks