Re: MariaDB: Packagers needed

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 02:14 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.10.2012 02:08, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> >> don't get me wrong but where is subtlety necessary here?
> >>
> >> * mysql-libs is a widely used and linked library
> >> * postfix/sendmail/exim is a binary with alternative symlinks
> >>
> >> different worlds
> >> different implications
> >
> > You're entirely missing the point.
> >
> > I suggested a *packaging mechanism* that we use in another situation.
> > Not a policy. The mechanism of having 'virtual provides' which multiple
> > packages can each satisfy is proven to be an effective way of coping
> > with a situation where multiple packages can provide a given function. I
> > suggested that it could be used _if_ this case matches that description.
> > Just because I mentioned sendmail and I mentioned mysql does not mean I
> > am 'comparing' them
>
> sorry, but you missed my point
>
> there is *no* mechanism out there for dynmic linked libraries
> replaced with any other binary incomplatible format like
> alternatives, the application linked against a specific version
> will simply crash

What? I'm not talking about anything like that.

Proper shared libraries aren't a problem in any case. We already have a
perfectly adequate policy for that. By policy, so far as actual shared
libraries are concerned, mysql-libs and mariadb-libs would have the
exact same provides, if they were in fact providing ABI/API-compatible
libraries, and would not have the same provides if they weren't.

> it is not possible and if it would there would be no reason
> for mass-rebuilds after update to new so-versions of libs

You are assuming that mysql and mariadb's libraries will be API/ABI
incompatible. I don't know if that's true or if it isn't, but in either
case it's pretty irrelevant, because library provides are already
specifically covered by a perfectly adequate policy.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey