Re: MariaDB: Packagers needed

On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 02:03 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> >> you can not compare a more or less standalone MTA with a package
> >> like mysql-libs where endless packages linked against!
> >
> > I didn't compare anything. I suggested that the _mechanism_ we use in
> > that case may also be appropriate in that case _if_ the circumstances
> > merited it. I explicitly stated that I didn't know whether the
> > circumstances actually do make it a sensible choice. I just floated the
> > possibility.
> >
> > I do wish you'd read with a bit more subtlety sometimes, Harald
>
> don't get me wrong but where is subtlety necessary here?
>
> * mysql-libs is a widely used and linked library
> * postfix/sendmail/exim is a binary with alternative symlinks
>
> different worlds
> different implications

You're entirely missing the point.

I suggested a *packaging mechanism* that we use in another situation.
Not a policy. The mechanism of having 'virtual provides' which multiple
packages can each satisfy is proven to be an effective way of coping
with a situation where multiple packages can provide a given function. I
suggested that it could be used _if_ this case matches that description.
Just because I mentioned sendmail and I mentioned mysql does not mean I
am 'comparing' them.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey