Diskless boot

As a footnote to my kernel screwup......

What I was trying to make was a kernel image with nfs client and
ethernet drivers compiled in so I could PXEboot without using an initrd
image.

Am I chasing my tail ? I used to boot sparcs like this by passing an IP
and nfsroot as the kernel arguments, yet every example I find for fedora
uses an initrd image with modules in it. Isn't it simpler to waste a few
extra kbytes and have a kernel with most common ethernet and NFS
compiled in.

I notice a diskless kernel and initrd image in fedora, but its seems to
be just an installer, the kernel boots on most things - but remove the
initrd and it doesn't stand alone ?

Jon