Re: aha! I figured out why journalctl's auto-pager bugs me when git's doesn't (and possible solution)

> From: Reindl Harald <h.reindl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Am 18.10.2012 20:05, schrieb Matthew Miller:
> > On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 07:46:46PM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> and i am doing "tail -n 500 -f /var/log/messages" or whatever
> >> logfle i want to watch since years because i want to see what
> >> happened before, can scroll up and watch what is going on
> >
> > This will work *right now* with journald, with almost identical semantics:
> >
> >  journalctl  -n500 -f
> >
> > (No space allowed after then -n.)
>
> thats not the point
>
> the point is that tail, grep, less, more, wathever-pager-you-use
> can be stucked with nearly any console-application in any
> creative way BUT the same way for all
>
> if i want a pager - i use a pager
>
> [root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ which systemctl
> alias systemctl='/bin/systemctl --no-pager --full'
>         /bin/systemctl
>
> sad that you need to use aliases to get the normal unix.behavior
> some tools like git doing not so is no excusion because this
> sounds like "i do it wrong because some others do too"

This is doomed to a flameware like vi vs emacs, I'm afraid.  I love the auto-page feature, but agree the implementation might be more friendly.  I like *nix traditions and pipelines -- I make some huge ones -- but systemctl and journalctl are user-interfaces, like git, man, info, etc. and I see nothing wrong with an implied pager.  I think git has nailed the perfect combo where it allows configs of "always", "never" and "auto" (turns off paging, color, etc. for non-tty stdout).

--
John Florian