Re: replacing rsyslogd in minimal with journald [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

On Tue, 9 Oct 2012, Lennart Poettering wrote:
Rotation happens in-line, i.e. each time before we are about to write an
entry we check if rotation is necessary and execute it. This should make
things a lot more robust, as this fixes a common issue with syslog where
a lot of data generated in bursts could flood the fs until a much later
time-based rotation took place. This time window goes away with the journal.

How can you configure how much log data is kept and for how long?

Rotation is strictly bound to disk size and space. There's an upper
limit on how much journald will consume, and a lower limit on how much
journald will always leave free.

This must be changed. Many policies at IT departments world wide have a date-based requirement, not a disk space size.

It is simply unacceptable.

-sv