minimal install set tuning [was Re: systemd requires HTTP server and serves QR codes]

On 10/9/12 9:18 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

From the list of packages this minimal set still installs, that I'd
really like to see gone:

chkconfig
gamin
info
systemd-sysv

chkconfig seems like it could have the 'alternatives' bit split off. I've not investigated this in detail.

gamin is glib2's fault. Strictly it's an implementation detail, it's not like the glib headers expose gamin types. It's a little irritating that you end up with both libfam.so and libgamin-1.so installed, with literally identical APIs.

info looks like it's only getting pulled in for /sbin/install-info in %post. There are several cats to skin here. The stanza for this in coreutils.spec looks suspiciously like something we could fix at build time instead, though this might not be the only thing in the transaction wanting info I suppose. We could split install-info to its own subpackage if we wanted, it's tiny. And anybody doing minimal images like this could run a second pass of package cleanup that removes things that were only needed for Requires({pre,post}).

As for systemd-sysv, pretty sure you know more about that than I do.

- ajax